Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Delicious lemony goodness with tart filling and light, creamy whipped cream frosting.
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix *
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- * (Also include ingredients called for on the box as well.)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Red Raspberry Pastry Filling
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix cake box mix according to directions, adding the additional ingredients listed above.
- Grease and flour three 6" round cake pans. [Hint: Make three circles of parchment paper to place in the bottom of the pan. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the bottom.]
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minute before removing from pans. Place on wire wrack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, combine the powdered sugar and unflavored gelatin in a small bowl and set aside. Next, pour 2 cups heavy whipping cream into stand mixer with whisk attachment and beat on high until peaks form. Gradually add the powder sugar/gelatin mixture one teaspoon at a time until blended and whipped cream has the consistency of frosting. Remove bowl from mixer, cover, and place in fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- Next, now that the cakes are cooled, level each with a cake leveler and add 1/2 cup of the filling to the top of the bottom and middle layers. Don't spread it up to the edge. Leave about 1/4 inch. When you place the next layer on top, it will press the filling to the edges cleanly. [Note: I bought the raspberry filling from a cake supply store online. It's pretty standard.]
- Lastly, frost cake with prepared whipped cream frosting. Optionally, you can garnish the top of the cake with fresh raspberries and mint leaves as shown in the picture.
Ramblings of a Gyrl http://www.ramblgyrl.com/