One side says it’s about ethics in gaming journalism while the other says its about the harassment of women. It probably started out as a little bit of both, but since then, the whole thing has devolved into an embarrassing display of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging stupidity. You’ve all lost the plot and here’s why…
1. Someone behaved like a butt-hurt drama llama on the Intertubes after they caught their girlfriend cheating and made a blog post or two about it. It could have quickly resulted in nothing, but everyone decided to jump on the bandwagon and treat it like an episode of Jerry Springer.
2. Female or not, if you designed a text based game revolving around depression in the 21st century, then I invite you to suck start a shotgun. Zork is so 1980s. If it is multiplayer, then congratulations, you wrote a MUD.
3. Misogyny, my ass. I want to play a scantily clad female in-game. I can’t get away with that shit in real life, or I’d frighten away children and small farm animals. Don’t ruin it for me, ‘kay?
4. I can honestly count the number of times a man has harassed me on two fingers… and that includes any MUDs that I frequented back in the day. I’ve suffered more harassment from other females to the point that I almost expect it now. It’s like dealing with a bunch of Bi-Polar Betty’s.
5. If you know how to play the game, can speak the language… CONGRATS! No one cares whether you are female or not. The moment you play the gender card and start whining about it, all bets are off. Don’t be surprised when you get exactly what you came for.
6. Anita Sarkeesian is not a gamer. She stated in 2010 that she doesn’t even like videos games and has been known to blatantly use selective evidence to further her political agenda. She tries bullying the media into support or silence on the issue. Clearly, Ms. Sarkeesian is a prime example of what’s wrong with the feminist movement within gaming and needs to butt out. (I’ll refrain from any derogatory terms for this woman although a few do come to mind.)
7. And as for the people harassing women? May I introduce you to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. I think this pretty much sums up the whole damn thing: