Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits
Delicious southern-style buttermilk biscuits. Great with fried chicken or other traditional southern dish. Also great with sausage and egg to make your own homemade breakfast sandwich. I had fun making these with my great-grandmother as a child.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using your fingertips or pastry cutter, combine shortening with dry ingredients until mixture has a crumbled texture.
- Pour in buttermilk and combine until dough forms. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and fold 7-8 times.
- Gently roll dough to 1 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out biscuits with a 3-inch cutter and place on baking sheet 1/4 inch apart.
- Reform dough, roll and continue cutting.
- Bake until biscuits are a golden light brown on top, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter (optional).
- Tip: I often make a large batch of these in advance and freeze them. They are easy to heat and serve as needed.
Ramblings of a Gyrl http://www.ramblgyrl.com/