Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
A creamy traditional Italian soup with potato gnocchi, a type of dumpling. Great on cold winter days served with warm rosemary olive oil bread.
- 1 1/2 lb boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 quart half and half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 cups spinach, stems removed and chopped
- 1 lb potato gnocchi
- flour to coat chicken
- Cut up chicken into 3/4 inch sized pieces. Coat lightly in flour and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in metal stock pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook chicken for approximately 5-6 minutes. Add minced garlic, celery, onion and carrot to chicken. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour white wine into pan, removing bits from the bottom of pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add half and half, chicken broth, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to near boil. Gradually add Parmesan cheese, stirring to combine, allowing cheese to melt.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- While soup is simmering, bring to boil 6 quarts of water in a separate pan. Add potato gnocchi and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Add chopped spinach to soup, continuing to simmer on medium-high heat for approximately another 5-6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Finally, add cooked potato gnocchi to soup and continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If you desire a thicker consistency, you can add approximately 2 teaspoons of Wondra® Cooking Flour during simmer.
Ramblings of a Gyrl http://www.ramblgyrl.com/